hard drive click

1x11456 19:59 23 Mar 06

i have a spare reconditioned 2 months old 250 gb hdd and i fitted it to one of the grandkids comps now quite randomly it will click once and the whole computer freezes. you have to unplug the comp to switch off as nothing works.when it restarts everything is fine untill it does a click and freezes again it sometimes goes for an hour or could do it in 5 mins its quite random.it sounds like the arm has been thrown to the edge and stuck what could be wrong there is only 1 click noise no squeels or humming the comp is not overloaded with stuff only the system and 1 game on it.any help please

jimv7 20:20 23 Mar 06

Back up any wanted files, download from the manufacturers site, hard drive diagnostic software and check the drive with it.

Paranoid Android 22:58 23 Mar 06

If you are sure the noise is coming from the drive, then I'm afraid you are probably wasting your time trying to diagnose / rectify the problem. Too often the term "reconditioned" when applied to hards disks means nothing of the sort. If the product is under any kind of warranty I sugggest you return it without delay, otherwise I would say ditch it before it starts losing data.

It is an unusual symptom though...

Marvin

1x11456 14:10 24 Mar 06

thanks to all for the help but now the hdd has failed completely i tried the seagate diagnostic full test and it found 9 bad sectors and when it tried to repair them it froze so after 20 mins i pulled out the plug from the back (not recommended) and now waiting for novatech to contact me..thanks again

Pineman100 16:52 24 Mar 06

Sorry to be pessimistic, but have you heard of "the click of death"? It usually signifies that your HDD is shortly to become an attractive paperweight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5