hard drive causing system crash?

nhojnhoj35 14:53 22 Jul 07

i have an e-machine i got from pc world about 2 yrs ago.
it has suddenly started to crash for no reason every 5 minutes.

the motherboard fan stops but the pc is still ticking and it appears to go into hibernation and wont come back to life. i have to do a forced shutdown and reboot

ive been trying to eliminate things all week and im certain it is none of the hardware plug in devices (ie. keyboard, mouse, monitor etc)nor is it the disk drives

therefore i think it is one of the internal hardware components.

i tried to do a clean install of windows lastnight to eliminate the software side but during the installation i got a system failure message follwed by the dreaded blue screen

this is leading me to conclude it is the hard drive that is faulty but is there any way to prove it??

thanks for any help :-(

FreeCell 15:06 22 Jul 07

To test the hard drive find the manufacturer and then download their specific disk checking software and run this from a CD. You will need to create an iso copy to run direct from CD.

Other source of your problems could be the power supply.

nhojnhoj35 15:10 22 Jul 07

hi,
thanks

you mean the power supply to the pc or you mean some internal gubbins?

FreeCell 15:50 22 Jul 07

Presuming we are talking about a desktop then the power supply unit in the back of the PC. Big unit the power chord plus in to, provides the PC with the lower voltages required for the components or internal gubbins as you called them.

Failure of one of the outputs from this could cause symptoms such as those you have seen. But then so could other things! Random crashes are always more difficult to diagnose.

You could check your internal temperatures and voltages using SpeedFan, a software monitoring utility. click here.

nhojnhoj35 18:17 22 Jul 07

thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac