Hard Drive Capacity of M/B

kangawallafox 02:11 11 Feb 04

I have a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L Motherboard. Can anyone tell me how I can find out up to what size hard drives it will support. I've recently been told that an article in some pc magazine said most motherboards won't accept hard drives over 163gig, (unless the m/b supported SATA).
I've read through the manual and checked the gigabyte site, but can not find anything telling me how to find out this information.
Is there maybe a little program that can check and tell me??

Any information in regards to this queary would be most welcome...

Megatyte 02:55 11 Feb 04

The HD size restriction is not determined by the motherboard as such, but by the BIOS. Most HD manufacturers will supply software (in the form of a disk overlay) which will overcome BIOS restrictions when using large drives (in my opinion the best, and easiest to use, is Maxtors Maxblast (for Maxtor drives only)).

Chegs ® 03:08 11 Feb 04

Only use MaxBlast if you aren't using an NVidia based graphics card.The MaxBlast crashes with a "General Protection Fault"

kangawallafox 19:46 11 Feb 04

Thanks people, however I refuse to use crappy maxtor drives ever!! I have known too many people whose hard drives have failed for no reason who all had maxtor.
I visited 8 different computer stores here and 7 of them said they don't and never will sell maxtor drives as they are way too unreliable and continually fail.
I'll stick with seagate, hitachi and western digital thanks.

R4 20:25 11 Feb 04

Never had any problems with Maxtor but I had a hitachi which suddenly just 'Lost' all its data.

seagate and western digital sites have simular utilities to Maxiblast.

kangawallafox 06:44 12 Feb 04

thanks for that R4.
looks like just what I needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…