Hard drive capacity

User-1235041 15:47 03 Feb 08

Hi I have just bought a new pc running xp media edition.I bought the pc with a 260GB hard drive. However I have just checked out my disk properties and I only have 228GB at full capacity.Is this correct or have I been robbed?

Regards Terry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 03 Feb 08

No that is correct, its the way windows does the maths.

Hard disk drive manufacturers specify disk capacity using the SI prefixes mega-, giga- and tera-, and their abbreviations M, G and T. Byte is typically abbreviated B.

Some operating-system tools report capacity using the same abbreviations but actually use binary prefixes. For instance, the prefix mega-, which normally means 106 (1,000,000), in the context of data storage can mean 220 (1,048,576), which is nearly 5% more. Similar usage has been applied to prefixes of greater magnitude. This results in a discrepancy between the disk manufacturer's stated capacity and the apparent capacity of the drive when examined through some operating-system tools. The difference becomes with 7% even more noticeable for a gigabyte. For example, Microsoft Windows reports disk capacity both in decimal-based units to 12 or more significant digits and with binary-based units to three significant digits. Thus a disk specified by a disk manufacturer as a 30 GB disk might have its capacity reported by Windows 2000 both as "30,065,098,568 bytes" and "28.0 GB". The disk manufacturer used the SI definition of "giga", 109 to arrive at 30 GB; however, because the utilities provided by Windows define a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes (230 bytes, often referred to as a gibibyte, or GiB), the operating system reports capacity of the disk drive as (only) 28.0 GB.

Technotiger 15:52 03 Feb 08

You've not been robbed - a certain amount is taken up with the System files etc, plus there may well be a System Restore partition as well.

User-1235041 15:59 03 Feb 08

ok thanks on both counts guys I think that resolves the problem.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…