Hard drive caddy guidance please

superhoops4ever 20:56 PM 26 Jun 13

Hi, I have two old hard drives from a couple of old pc's, roughly 5/6 years old. I would like to see what was on them but am really confused as to what caddy I need. I see on Amazon Sata, IDE, 2.5 ins 3.5 ins- really confused!! Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks

LastChip 21:40 PM 26 Jun 13

They're probably 3.5" (measure the width which will actually measure about 4" if they're 3.5" drives) and most likely to be IDE, but check this. Which connection do they have on the back?

superhoops4ever 22:16 PM 26 Jun 13

Hi, thanks for your help. It is approx 4 inches wide so that answers that query. I have various connectors on it - one is 7 pins one is 15 pins and another is 2 rows of 4. I guess it is the 7 pin connector that is important as the link you kindly provided said that seven pins would be Sata. Thanks again for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 PM 27 Jun 13

Looks like this is the one you need then

wee eddie 21:31 PM 27 Jun 13

The only thing that I can add is that the few extra £'s spent on a USB3 connection will be well spent.

onthelimit1 07:59 AM 28 Jun 13

I bought one of these a few months ago. easy to plug any sort of drive into it.

superhoops4ever 08:39 AM 28 Jun 13

That's great thanks for all the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November