Hard Drive Buggerd on Friends Computer....

RobCharles1981 23:50 07 May 08

Hi

My Friend is chatting to me on msn, and he has said that his 300gig slave back up drive has pooped, its crashing and the disk is not showing in the Bios!

I'm under the impression that you can fit a caddy to it in order to recover the data from it is this true and possible?

Many Thanks

Rob

lotvic 00:16 08 May 08

I wish you could explain your problem without swearing.

RobCharles1981 00:19 08 May 08

I wish I could explain what without swearing? I'm not swearing!

lotvic 00:35 08 May 08

I refer to the Title.

RobCharles1981 00:47 08 May 08

:-S

RobCharles1981 00:49 08 May 08

perhaps I will close this and start a more sinister approach then........

lotvic 00:57 08 May 08

Stay nice, I like your music :)

jack 08:17 08 May 08

of the problem please RobTheOrganGuru
Then we will get cracking.

Technotiger 08:33 08 May 08

The suspect drive could easily be placed in a caddy, and then connected via USB for further investigation.

Technotiger 08:34 08 May 08

click here and a Google would find plenty more.

xania 08:40 08 May 08

I'm not sure that your proposed solution will be any better. If you can't read the drive as a slave, you won't be able to read it any better as a USB device, and moving a already delicate HDD may make matters worse. Use the next time you get it working to copy all the important data to a new drive attached either to a second IDE (you can always remove a DVD/CD from IDE2 if you don't have SATA) or via USB and THEN remove and replace the dodgy 300 GB drive. Also, I don't know how much data you have to transfer, and I expect there is still the original copies on the main drive (if this is truely just a back-up drive) I would recommend copying in small amounts with the most essential data first, and move rather than copy, so you can see what's still left to be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…