hard drive breakdown?

I am running 60gb hdd xp pro o/s without problems.I have just started to get trouble at start up where the computer cannot auto detect ide.Trouble is it won't boot from the floppy or cd when its like this.It has also started to go to start up when I am using it normally and won't boot up.If I wiggle the hard drive it will start up normally.I have noticed a problem with my start up disc which recently had a new use found for it by my daughter, I don't know what it was but it worked alright before she paid my computer room a visit. Thought it might be the hard drive breaking up,any ideas?Please help

jonnytub 20:35 07 Jun 04

assume you've checked and double checked ide cables are seated properly?

Totally-braindead 20:36 07 Jun 04

Try replacing the IDE cable in case theres a bad connection, is the hard drive quite old? When you say there is a problem with your start up disk do you mean its damaged ie scratched or something?

The hard drive is quite old and the start up disc is scratched as only a child can scratch.I have checked the cables and they feel as though they're seated properly.It has just done it again as I was online.The hard drive made a noise (the same as it does at start up )then it went through the start up again :htis time the hard drive kept making the same noise as if it was stuck and cleared itself when I knocked the side of the case and stared up.It did go to check disc though on its own and is running o.k at the moment

The hard drive is quite old and the start up disc is scratched as only a child can scratch.I have checked the cables and they feel as though they're seated properly.It has just done it again as I was online.The hard drive made a noise (the same as it does at start up )then it went through the start up again :htis time the hard drive kept making the same noise as if it was stuck and cleared itself when I knocked the side of the case and stared up.It did go to check disc though on its own and is running o.k at the moment

Totally-braindead 21:31 07 Jun 04

It does sound like the hard drive could be on the way out, if you're sure the cables are ok. Regarding the scratched disk, did you by any chance get PC Advisors Spring 2004 DVD issue, if you did then you may be able to use CD X Rescue to copy your windows disk before it becomes unreadable. Not sure how you stand legally with this but if its registered to you I don't personally see whats wrong with backing it up when your main disk gets damaged.

Thanks Totally-braindead,I have stripped out every thing I need already.But I will try a new cable in case thats the problem although cables aren't the sort of thing to fail without provocation are they.It's a pity but I did n't get a copy of the mag,I'll try to see if I can get a back issue as I fear the disk is already lost although I haven't tried too hard to get it going as I've had a lot of time consuming jobs to do on here.Thanks very much I appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…