Hard drive bad sectors?

Stu1980 12:27 13 Dec 03

After about 6 months of having my new pc it suddenly started takin 30 mins to boot up after farmatting and reinstalling the problem went away it has since happened 4 times and i had to format and reinstall it is currently working ok but certain files if i try to acces them they slow my pc right down and it takes an age to quit them if my virus scan hits certain files it freeses and i have to ctrl alt delete to close it down which takes a long time

could this be a faulty hard drive as chkdsk came up with lots of errors any ideas? it is less than a year old

MAJ 12:32 13 Dec 03

What is the drive's make and model, Stu1980, the manufacturer's website should have a free diagnostic programme that you can download to check out the drive?

Stu1980 12:35 13 Dec 03

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb ATA 133 7200rpm

i have looked on the manufacturers mewbsite but it says that their diagnostic tool doesnt support nforce chipsets on motherboards

i have an asus a7n8x deluxe

Gongoozler 12:42 13 Dec 03

Stu1980, this could be a defective hard drive, but to be sure you will need to run Maxtor's diagnostics program "Powermax", and to do this properly will involve a low-level format. This will erase any data stored on the drive, so before doing it you will have to back up everything on it.

click here

and

click here

MAJ 12:43 13 Dec 03

Hmmm that's a bummer, Stu1980, have you tried running "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes)from a command prompt? That should fix the errors.

Stu1980 12:46 13 Dec 03

thx guys ill try the chkdisk /r now before i format everything (again)

Gongoozler 16:18 13 Dec 03

Stu1980, as Powermax runs from a floppy, can you get the use of another computer to run the diagnostics?

Stu1980 12:13 15 Dec 03

no i cant get another computer ive had to reinstall windows again just to get on here my hard drive is just full of bugs

does anyone know what causes bad sectors and disk errors?

i performed chkdsk /r it rewrote and "recovered" files but everything went haywire and i lost the internet and couldnt install or delet programs due to a missing dll file

Gongoozler 15:32 15 Dec 03

To quote from click here
A bad sector is
"A portion of a disk that cannot be used because it is flawed. When you format a disk, the operating system identifies any bad sectors on the disk and marks them so they will not be used. If a sector that already contains data becomes damaged, you will need special software to recover the data.
Almost all hard disks have sectors that are damaged during the manufacturing process, but these are usually replaced with spare sectors at the factory. By the time the disk is shipped, it should be free of bad sectors. If your disk utility starts showing bad sectors, therefore, this is a sign that there is something wrong with the disk or disk drive."

Stu1980 18:31 15 Dec 03

thanks guys it doesnt sound good for my drive then does it do u think its fixable or should i try and return it under warranty?

Gongoozler 18:50 15 Dec 03

Hi Stu1980. I find Maxtor very good for warranty returns. You get a rma number from Maxtor, and then you can choose whether to send the defective drive to them and they will send you a replacement, or you can request a new drive and you return the old one in the box the new one arrived in, but for the second option they will require a credit card number just in case you don't send your old drive back. You will lose all the data on the returned drive. click here

Maxtor do say, however, that the majority of returned drives are found to have no faults, and it is for this reason that they ask you to run the diagnostic software first. I don't know how they handle the situation where PowerMax doesn't support the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…