Hard drive "bad sectors"

gasman1 20:24 28 Sep 03

I hooked up an old hard drive to my present system, just to reformat the drive ready to sell on. Now my existing drive wont boot up without a warning that my drive may have bad sectors and needs to run scan disk.
I left it running a complete scan over night only for message to come back when computer is switched back on.
I can exit scandisk and the computer runs normal.
any ideas anyone???

graham√ 20:33 28 Sep 03

Joe, this normally happens after an abnormal shut-down. What O/S, please?

woodchip 20:39 28 Sep 03

It's windows getting mixed up when you put the other drive in, ignore it.

graham√ 08:37 29 Sep 03

E-mail received :

'there is something strange goin on because I remember I changed the hard drive last year after I started getting the 'bad sector' reports. Now I put the old drive in my present set up to reformat it and when its removed and my present hard drive is hooked back up I ghet the 'bad sector' messages.
I am pretty sure now that there is nothing wrong with either of the drives, but how do I tell the computer this ???'

gasman1, please use the 'Add a new response' facility underneath, so everyone can see.

What is your operating system, XP, 98, etc?

gasman1 20:09 29 Sep 03

Its win 98se I changed the original drive because it was reporting 'bad sectors' I know the hard drive is ok I just need a solution to stop it automatically trying to run scandisk and full hard drive check every boot up....

graham√ 20:25 29 Sep 03

The only thing I can think of is to re-instal Win 98. If you don't mind losing all your data, a format would give you a clean slate.

Any other suggestions, folks?

gasman1 20:38 29 Sep 03

I dont mind the reformat route, I just would like to know how to stop the message in the first instance..

powerless 20:42 29 Sep 03

A reformat would do it.

However click here

powerless 20:49 29 Sep 03

This one > click here

graham√ 21:06 29 Sep 03

Powerless, the first link applies :-)

gasman1 21:08 29 Sep 03

thanks powerless, tried the download still get silly message.
I will try the reformat , needs tidying anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…