Hard Drive-Backup-reformat-Acronis

Greengage 16:02 16 May 06

I've been having trouble with my laptop lately - it is slow, the hard drive failed to back up to an external drive and it is not up to the standard it was. I've run all the usual utility programs and ultimately did a Repair in XP in the hope that this would improve matters, but it has only made it more sluggish. Also when attempting to back up using Acronis I got the message on three occasions that no hard drives could be recognised and when I did get it going, the back up failed as it was unable to read certain sections of hard disk. I eventually got round this by staying with the laptop while backing up to enable me to press the "ignore all" button - but I fear that the backup may not be 100%. My question is, if I reformat the hard drive and then restore through the externally backed up Acronis might this improve matters or am I likely to be left with the same problem in view of what has gone on before. I don't fancy doing a clean install of XP and all the work that will be involved.

woodchip 16:08 16 May 06

Your first port of callis, Desktop double click My Computer Right Click on C:\ choose tools check disc tick the box to auto fix faults then restart computer for it to check the disc. If you have a full XP disc, That you used to run Repair, put it in the drive after disc check and from run box Type SFC /SCANNOW and run the program to look for corrupt files

Tabvla 16:21 16 May 06

Agree with "woodchip". When a Windows machine is feeling sick the route back to health (hopefully) can often be achieved if you follow this simple routine:

* Run chkdsk. Start > Run > chkdsk c:/f/r
* Make sure that Windows is updated
* Update your AV and do an intensive full system scan
* Update your Spyware and do the same
* Open Windows Task Manager and monitor which processes are running and see if one process is grabbing all the CPU cycles
* BEFORE you end a process make sure that you understand the consequences. You can check with this Forum if you are unsure.
* Check if there is something strange in your Start Programs
* Do a disk cleanup
* Clear out the swap-file
* Defrag the disk
* Do a memory check to make sure that RAM is OK
* Power down and do a cold boot

Greengage 17:10 16 May 06

Thanks for your responses. I would mention that I did not attempt chkdsk because of the problems I suffered with my PC recently click here
Windows is fully updated along with AVG,CC, Spybot etc and I run Diskkeeper Lite regularly. Before I did the XP repair I ran sfc /scannow but I did not do system restore because the problem with the laptop had been "building" up and I did not think this would achieve anything. Then having used XP repair not only did I then no longer have a restore point but I then had to re-install SP2 and all the subsequent up-dates!CPU usage has been OK and Start Up programs are all known. In the light of your comments, I will now attempt chhdsk, AVG system scan and report back - this may not be for a couple of days. Can you please tell me how I clear out the swap file.

woodchip 21:26 16 May 06

Look hear

click here

Greengage 21:42 16 May 06

Thanks again. Chkdsk came up with two bad sectors - I have carried out the other exercises inc page file and will sit back and see how things go. I will tick as resolved and will not proceed with what I first proposed.

swapper 14:27 06 Jan 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…