//some 3rd party need geo

hard drive ata 100/133 speeds - any difference

pookie 13:11 21 Sep 05

hi

only reason i ask is that i have 2 hard drives. master is 80Gb maxtor 8Mb buffer 133/7200. slave for backup is 40Gb something but only ata 100. I've read that having 2 drives on same ide cable means that they only run at the speed of slowest drive ie i take it that my speedy maxtor is being slowed down by old backup drive.

any thoughts - is it worth bothering about? if it came to it that you all thought there would be a big difference by having maxtor drive only i'd disconnected back up drive as i have all my data backed up elsewhere anyway.

cheers

P

Totally-braindead 13:17 21 Sep 05

Its not worth bothering, as long as you're using the faster drive as the master it will make very little difference. I've never heard that connecting a slower drive to the same IDE cable as a faster drive will slow them both down to the speed of the slowest one, therefore I think this is wrong, the only time things would slow up are when you are actually using the slower drive and theres so little difference anyway I think its unlikely you would see much difference.

Totally-braindead 13:19 21 Sep 05

Oh by the way, I'd be interested to know where you read about the hard drive thing. If you can remember please post a link as I'd like to read the article myself as I think its rubbish. Mind you someone here might know better.

Thalmus 13:25 21 Sep 05

I think that if the 100 HD was the master then it would slow it down. However seeing how the 133 is the master it should affect it and if it did you probably wouldn't botice the difference

pookie 13:30 21 Sep 05

many thanks for this.

micro mart issue 868 page 110.
'this is because the speed of IDE is limited to the slowest device installed on the cable so if you have, for example, an ata133 hard disk and a cd rom limited to ata33, your brand new disk drive will be crippled down to ata33 speeds'

whilst that is ata33 i've used my own situation of ata100 and 133.

cheers

P

Totally-braindead 14:34 21 Sep 05

I think what they may be on about is if 2 drives are on the same cable and being used at the same time, then the faster drive would have to wait for the slower drive therefore it would be slower. But I still believe that the mere presence of another drive would not slow the faster drive down unless they were both reading/writing at the same time, if its just sitting there why and how could it affect the speed of another drive? I haven't read the article obviously but thats my take on the situation. I'll be interested to see if someone else can clarify this.

DieSse 14:57 21 Sep 05

What they say is plain wrong. All modern IDE controllers support independant device timing - ie different rates on different drives.

DieSse 15:00 21 Sep 05

PS . incidentally there are no hard drives that can transfer at a sustained rate anywhere near this fast. It's a theoretical maximum that can only be obtained when reading out of the drives cache - not when actually reading from the disk surface.

pookie 12:29 22 Sep 05

many thanks for the replies

P

Mr Mistoffelees 13:27 22 Sep 05

Further to DieSse's posts above. Even when reading from cache, the drive's maximum burst speed will not reach the theoretical maximum supported by the interface.

woodchip 13:54 22 Sep 05

That's not true about working at slowest speed. It used to be, with old computers but it's not been like that for yonks. But you would not see any difference in 100 and 133 any way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…