Hard Drive Amnesia

PhiltheFragger 16:30 06 Aug 03

A chum has 2 hard discs on his system, one master and a slave. All the programs and windows are on C drive and all his documents on D.

The computer suddenly stopped showing D drive in My Computer although it is recognised in the bios.

I checked it and ran fdisk to view the partition and found that the partition has evaporated. Basically it is acting like a brand new unformatted Hdd. But it is full of Data

Can I get it back? is there some magic DOS command that can rescue this info
And any idea what caused it

It is a home built system Athlon XP2000 Win 98 SE about 8 months old

Cheers

Philip

Bodi 18:27 06 Aug 03

several programs you can buy that might do this for you.

I have Ontrack Easy Recovery, but have only used it once - on a corrupted floppy drive and was unsuccessful. So this probably is not very helpful, but at least it will put you to the top again.

Bodi

Bodi 18:29 06 Aug 03

Could be that your slave drive has died, but you could try physically disconnecting it and booting without it. Shut down and then connect it again - you never know, it might work.

Bodi

paddyjack 19:14 06 Aug 03

To follow on from Bodi take the drive out and bung it in the freezer for half hour or so. I have pulled this trick once and it worked, no idea as to why, but it might be worth trying

xania 21:04 06 Aug 03

Partition magic click here has a facility for recovering deleted partitions - don't be too put off by the price - you should be able to get V6.0 much cheaper on Ebay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…