Hard Drive Always 'Clicking'

miner 16:28 29 Dec 03

Would anyone have any idea why my HDD is always 'clicking' to itself when idle? It 'clicks' about 3 times a second and is VERY distracting!

I've just set up my new 2.66 pc running W98.

Gongoozler 16:31 29 Dec 03

Hi miner, the hard drive shouldn't click, unless it's being accessed. Does the drive active light on the front panel flicker when the drive clicks?

Gongoozler 16:43 29 Dec 03

Hi miner. I should have been more specific in my last posting. If your hard drive is clicking other than when it is being accessed, then it is probably about to fail, so you should back up all your important data immediately. If it is a new drive you need to make arrangements for a replacement under warranty. If it is out of warranty, then you should think about a new drive very soon.

miner 16:44 29 Dec 03

Gongoozler - yes the active light does flicker.

Rennaissance 16:51 29 Dec 03

what does the click sound like. Harddrives make very weird sounds and some are normal for them to do this. Even when mine just sits there it makes a slight grind noise, and when the screen saver comes on it makes a big noise too.

hugh-265156 16:54 29 Dec 03

what make of drive is it and is it S.M.A.R.T. enabled?

when the computer starts up and if S.M.A.R.T.is turned on then,on the post screen you may notice the status of the drive here,should say healthy if all is well.

run a disk check start/my computer/right click the drive/properties/tools/error checking and tick both boxes and restart the computer(go make a cup of tea will take a while)

also try aida32 personal etd click here click storage/smart and look at the status here.

it may just be a noisy drive or the acoustic damping may not be enabled.hitachi feature tool will work with all drive makes and allow you to enable or disable it click here (half way down page)

my drive is whisper quiet when enabled and still not that audiable when disabled though.

miner 16:56 29 Dec 03

Rennaissance - its a very regular clicking - just the same sound it produces when operating normally i.e. sporadically.

The clicking stops when the drive has some active work to do.

Stuartli 17:03 29 Dec 03

Sorry to sound pessimistic but the last time I came across a clicking HDD (a friend's) we managed to do a full backup onto a new one just in time.....

Gongoozler 17:07 29 Dec 03

Frequent access of the hard drive is often cause by Office Startup Assistant (OSA9.EXE). This is more trouble than use, and is best disabled. You may also have another application that is trying to continuously access the hard drive. Have a look in your startup list (Start - Run (msconfig) - Startup), and Start - Programs - Startup, to see if you have anything unnecessary. Also run Adaware (click here) and Spybot (click here) to see if you have any malware using up your resources.

miner 18:07 29 Dec 03

Found it! I was running Roxio Go-Back 3 which I've now disabled and this has removed the annoying clicking. Only trouble is Go-Back is a very handy programme.....

Many thanks all round.

Sparks 18:21 29 Dec 03

You could try this link click here if concerned about suspect hard drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…