Hard drive is always active

Inverjazz 09:24 30 Jan 03

I have an unusual problem since installing a new graphics card. The hard drive is now constantly active: the led blinks every two or three seconds and the heads seek. This results in the drive not switching off under power management control, and also scandisk returning the familiar message of failing because some other program is writing to the disk. I've restored the former graphics card, checked the drive settings and deleted all references to the new card from the registry, but the fault remains, although everything else seems to be OK. The system has plenty of Ram and disk space, and Windows 98SE has control of virtual memory. Something has changed but I don't know what. Any Ideas?

Gongoozler 09:58 30 Jan 03

Inverjazz, can you tell us what the new graphics card is, and also what motherboard it is installed on. I am not familiar with this problem but the additional information will help the investigation.

pj123 10:22 30 Jan 03

If it is still happening with the old card back in have you tried a Registry Restore? You can sometimes miss a registry entry when editing manually.

Inverjazz 08:51 01 Feb 03

The graphics card is a Geforce4 MMX 8X 64MB DDR, the mother board a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ with a 1 gHz Athlon. After installing and unistalling I've eventually got the system working almost error-free, just the odd glitch now again about missing or damaged DDL files. Anyway, I'll be fitting a bigger hard drive soon and with clean istall everything will surely be OK. Many thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…