Hard Drive always on

bryanwhitby 21:24 13 Apr 08

Hi
I have recently bought a HP 530 laptop and after a while you can hear the hard drive permantly running. Is there a way to stop this? I recently added more memory so could this have something to do with it?
Thanks
Bryan

Technotiger 21:31 13 Apr 08

It is normal for the hard drive to be permanently spinning, however you do have some control over this from within Control Panel>Power Options. Worth a look if you are bothered by this.

MAT ALAN 21:36 13 Apr 08

Your hard drive only works if it is being written to or read from!

You may have something on your PC that is continuously working that doesn't really need to be.

click here

follow thread it may help...

mrwoowoo 21:45 13 Apr 08

The vista file indexing service does tend to cause a lot of hard drive thrashing.
If you wish to disable it you will need to
Navigate to Control Panel,and in programmes and features choose turn windows features on or off. There you can disable
the Indexing Service by removing the tick.
There are lots of other "un neccessary" features you can turn off as well if you are not entirely satisfied.

woodchip 21:52 13 Apr 08

You have got a slow drive in it, that's why. Only a 4200 rpm You need a 7200 rpm drive.

I have HP 510

UncleP 22:38 13 Apr 08

I believe the Windows OS does a certain amount of housekeeping in the background, which accounts for some intermittent disk activity. This is unavoidable and has increased over the years with the complexity of the OS. But in this case I think woodchip's comment is the more relevant.

woodchip 22:47 13 Apr 08

That is what a Medion did that I have until I fitted a faster drive. Slow loading and hard drive working all the time until i updated it

brundle 22:51 13 Apr 08

For XP, get TweakUI (click here) , untick Optimize hard disk when idle click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant