Hard drive Aggh

Bike-it 16:39 29 Dec 14

I have started using a WD My Passport Ultra 2Tb external Hard Drive, i have loads of photos on it, but when ever i want to remove it from the computer i always get a pop up message telling me that the drive cannot be removed safely as a program is using it yet no programs are opened, so how can i find out if any program is using it, if so how do i find which program it is, or how can i remove it safely?

rdave13 16:56 29 Dec 14

How is it connected? When I had an e-sata drive the safest way I could remove it was after shutting down the PC.

northumbria61 17:14 29 Dec 14

I agree with rdave13 comments - there's also more here usb/external hdd/ unable to remove

Bris 17:25 29 Dec 14

Take a look at Unlocker here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 29 Dec 14

Its probably the back up software that came loaded on it doing a continuous back u[p to this drive from your P internal drives.

If you do not want this to happen then stop the WD backup software from running at startup and delete the files from the drive.

BT 17:46 29 Dec 14

Is it not a USB connected drive? If so right click and eject it, then you should be able to unplug it safely.

Bike-it 19:12 29 Dec 14

It is connected via usb, i will not let me eject it safely, this is the only external drive this happens to the other i have can be removed safely.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 29 Dec 14

won't let you eject if its in the process of writing to or from another drive.

Bike-it 20:24 29 Dec 14

Its not writing its sitting doing nothing, the small light is lit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:09 29 Dec 14

the recovery media will have locked the drive

you need to stop the WD recovery software.

Bike-it 22:58 29 Dec 14

I shut down the computer and removed the HD, plugged it back into the computer when it restarted it let me eject it safely, so i think the problem is to do with Photoshop or lightroom, as when i open either and do a bit of editing, shut down the programs it will not let you eject safely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…