Hard Drive advice

prodway 22:23 20 Jul 07

Hi

Ive just bought a 500 gb sata hd as my 120gb main primary drive is over 3/4s full and my 2nd drive(mp3s)only has 6gb left and my 3rd drive(flight sim and addons) only has 10 gbs remaining.Ok,so ive originaly bought my new hd for a back up to use as a new 2nd drive to store all my mp3s and move other stuff over from my 1st drive(such as photos etc..)to free up stuff from my primary but my 1st drive currently is an IDE style hd.Should i use my new Sata drive as my primary or my 2nd hd?will a SATA be quicker then my current IDE primery drive?Any advice will be greatly apreciated.

Cheers

Paul.

woodchip 22:37 20 Jul 07

Sata would or should be faster if your motherboard supports it. But don’t think you would see the speed difference. My choice would be to us it as a Backup drive and take all the stuff of the other drive

prodway 23:11 20 Jul 07

Ok,i do have us my pc for alot of gaming,will sata improve the running of games?
I have backup software which can easlily transfer my current primary to my new 500 gb.Keep the advice coming.

Cheers.

prodway 09:03 21 Jul 07

Any more advice before i go ahead?

User-312386 09:06 21 Jul 07

Oh yes

Use the new SATA(is it sataII) it for your windows installation.

For gaming you will see a very good difference

€dstowe 09:10 21 Jul 07

Transferring your current primary drive might not be as easy as people lead you to believe. Yes, it can run smoothly but, just as easily it may be just the opposite.

If your primary ("C") drive is functioning OK, leave it as it is with the O/S and programs on it and use the other drives for backup, data and storage.

User-312386 09:18 21 Jul 07

I have not had an instalation problem in years with XP

prodway

Just remember to find all the drivers for your graphics card and sound card etc etc

prodway 09:55 21 Jul 07

I can image my current primary straight onto my new sata hd cant i?i have acronis true imaging software.Or how about i leave my primary as it is and install my games etc.. on my secondary new sata drive,could that speed things up?or does my new sata have to be my primary to notice a difference for gaming?im not looking for a big difference in speed but my current primary ide hd does seem slow but maybe because its 3/4s full?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers for replies so far,very helpfull!!

prodway 11:30 21 Jul 07

Any final words of wisdom?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…