Hard drive activity light stuck on?

shortcircuit 07:03 27 Oct 04

Hi all.
Just finished upgrading my pc with a GA-7N400L with all my old parts which worked well before. I have used my Seagate 160Gb, but when I turn on my pc, the HD activity light flashes away but does not turn off when all done! The pc works fine and the cables are all to the right places. I have swopped them all a thousand times!

Never experienced this before.

Any ideas?

Regards

Gongoozler 11:14 27 Oct 04

I've seen two threads in the last few months with a similar problem. One was caused by the power and drive LED's beind swapped over. The other was caused by a faulty CD drive.

961 11:44 27 Oct 04

It's got to be in the front connectors to the leds.

Some new mobos have different pin connections

shortcircuit 21:21 27 Oct 04

Gongoozler

Funny you should say that. As my new mobo has not wanted to recognise my DVD drive. It sees my DVDRW drive but not the dvd. I'll check and see if I remove it makes any difference.

shortcircuit 11:57 29 Oct 04

Thought I would post back with the answer. It turned out to be the DVD drive. I swapped it for another and the light now works properly and the drives are now seen. Weird...as all I did was change mobo and then reconnect!

Gongoozler 12:07 29 Oct 04

It is weird. Probably it was borderline in a timing or voltage threshold, and just about worked on the old MB, and just about didn't on the new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017