Hard Drive

Redlegends 17:16 27 Feb 03

Hopefully some clever clogs can help me out here. I've just purchased a second hard drive (samsung 80GB) and set it up as the slave and checked in the setup that the computer recognises it, which it does. I now believe i have to format the hard drive but when i tried this using Fdisk (windows XP) it said the command was not recognised. Am i doing it right can anyone offer any advice or help me out.

Gman 17:23 27 Feb 03

Open a command prompt from within windows xp then use the command format x: where x is the drive letter for your hard drive

Redlegends 17:54 27 Feb 03

Thanks Gman. Lets check i've got this right.

Goto start, then Run then type command which opens the MS-Dos window.

I then typed format D (new drive) if thats all right it didn't work, if not dumb it down a shade.

Rayuk 18:30 27 Feb 03

Go into My Computer right click on new drive click on format

Redlegends 18:39 27 Feb 03

It doesn't show up there. It does however show up when you start the computer and it shows at as a samsung HDD secondary drive.

So it is there but not if you get my drift.

Rayuk 18:55 27 Feb 03

What did you type when you tried formatting with fdisk
format D:

You could try using a different boot disk have a look here may help

click here

DieSse 20:07 27 Feb 03

If it's 80 Gb, and you're using FAT32, then Win XP cannot format a drive greater than 32Gb.

Redlegends 18:21 28 Feb 03

Well what do you do then cos nearly everyones using drives bigger than 32GB.

Redlegends 18:23 28 Feb 03

I've tried using a start up disc and when i do and it restarts i then use the fdisk command and voila err. . .i mean nothing. says fdisk is not a recognised command.

MartinT-B 18:26 28 Feb 03

fdisk does not work on XP.

Format it from windows it's 200% quicker anyway.

go to my computer right click the drive, choose format.

I think that still works on XP

MartinT-B 18:30 28 Feb 03

Ooops seen above post!

Searching for options as you say it's recignized by bios on boot so there is something else.

will BBL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…