hard drive

pat2068 01:17 07 Dec 07

i have a maxtor HD it gave me a warning it had a bad block so i tried scanning it with seagate sea tools for windows but the short DST fails could someone please tell me if it could be my HD on its way out thanks leo

MCE2K5 01:46 07 Dec 07

Mine had bad blocks.
It did Fail.
New 250 gig Seagate H/D Fitted tonight, Just finished filling it up (MCE 2005) MP3's

dan111 08:58 07 Dec 07

Run it from dos with a windows 98se floppy. Run scandisk C: with a full scan. It may take hours with a large hard drive.

If it's just bad blocks. Windows will mark these bad blocks as unusable and skip them when writing to them. When done run a disk defragmenter.

xania 09:17 07 Dec 07

The odd bad block is not too serious, but if these start to extend, its time to replace the drive. Make sure everything is backed up regularly in preparation for when the drive suddenly gives up the ghost - you may not get any further warning.

pat2068 19:07 07 Dec 07

the computer is still under warranty until the end of this month and if it is ready to go i want then the replace it i have run scandisk and look for bad sectors defreg and still it is failing the test thanks leo

Terry Brown 19:28 07 Dec 07

Contact Maxtor for their Hard Drive Diagnostic program, this gives you the option to generate a report to send to Maxtor, repair the drive (Low level format) or just the first section which most scandisks miss.
If you do decide to use the low level option, be aware that it will wipe everything including all hidden partitions which may have been put there by the manufacturer.
If you email me (Yellow box), put in Subject box 'Maxtor leo the lionĀ©', I will email you the program (750kb), you will need to boot from a Floppy drive or USB stick to run it.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…