hard drive

pat2068 00:15 01 Jul 07

when i start my computer i am getting a noise cant describe it i dont no if it my hard drive so anyone tell me where i can check it without losing everything that is on it it is a maxtor thanks leo

johnnyrocker 00:18 01 Jul 07

the maxtor website provides a hard drive checking tool.

johnny

pat2068 01:02 01 Jul 07

i have been on to the maxtor which has been taken over by seagate and couldent fine anything thanks leo

Quiet Life 11:23 01 Jul 07

The utility is at click here. It does Seagate or Maxtor drives
My Maxtor drive has always made a type of slipping noise followed by a bit of clicking at start up. I believe it is the arm coming off its resting position. It is about 18 months old.

pat2068 22:38 01 Jul 07

could you please tell me if i use this utility will it wipe anything of my drive as i dont want to lose anything thanks leo

Quiet Life 22:56 01 Jul 07

Seatools for Windows will not touch any files on your harddrive and is quite safe. It will highlight your Maxtor/Seagate drives and then you can select a short or long test. The short is only about 5 minutes but the long if I remember correctly took me about an hour but I suppose speed of your system will affect the time.
At the end all I got was a "Pass"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…