Hard drive...

smullan_2000 09:45 02 Mar 06

Right i decided that i needed about 80GB more file storage space for my laptop, so i decided on an external hard drive. One of my work mates was saying that it was cheaper to buy an IDE Hard drive and and USB Enclosure and put them together. SO i did and saved about £30 in the process.

Now for the problem, I opened up all the packaging, and connected it all up and connected it to my computers USB and hey presto new hardware found - New hardware installed and ready to use. so i thought gr8. but no, i cant find the drive on my computer, or expolrer etc... but the device is showing in device manager, after uninstalling and re-installing and shuting down and restating etc (all the obviouse stuff, i still cant see the drive.

i spoke to a m8 who says the hard drive prob isnt formatted... So the question is how do i format a disk when i cant see the disk on the computer???? Any Idea's???

Please help, if i dont think i can do it By 4.30 today i'm taking it back to the shop and saying its broke... Cheers

mattyc_92 10:03 02 Mar 06

In WinXP (which I am guessing you are using?!?), go to "Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management"
Your new drive SHOULD be located in the list of drives that appear at the right. Right-click the drive (which should say "Unallocated" and select "New Partition"

Hope that helps :-)

spuds 10:55 02 Mar 06

Don't know what you paid for your drive set-up. But a friend of mine purchased this the other day click here WD 200GB at £85.00. Very good and easy to set-up.

smullan_2000 11:35 02 Mar 06

Mine was a bit cheeper £50, mattyc_92, i'll give that a try tonight,

anyone else have any ideas that i might try incase that dont work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac