hard drive

Hucky 18:16 07 Sep 05

hi...i am trying to install a second hard drive and i have put it in...connected the ide cable and taken off the jumper to make it the slave but still it doesent pick it up on boot up.help!!!!!!!

DieSse 18:21 07 Sep 05

"taken off the jumper to make it the slave"

Are you sure that's correct as shown on the drive label? Some drives need a jumper in the Slave position.

Is the original drive set to Master or Cable Select - If it's Cable Select, your new drive should be set to that too.

What capacity is the new drive, and roughly what age is your system - you may have a drive too large for your motherboard to detect.

Have you put the drive on the same ide cable as the original drive - and on which connector - the end or middle one

woodchip 18:26 07 Sep 05

And if you are XP you have to go to Disc manager to assign a Drive letter

Hucky 18:27 07 Sep 05

i have the old drive (5gb) on master...i am on os98 my new drive is 20gb

woodchip 18:30 07 Sep 05

Does it show on the DOS screen at boot

woodchip 18:31 07 Sep 05

Also have you been into BIOS at start as if it's a old computer you will have to run the Drive Detect page

Hucky 18:31 07 Sep 05

wobblymike 18:36 07 Sep 05

Following the old adage of doing everything in sequence
1. Check that your original hd is set to master and new one to slave (well worth checking original drive as it may need to be set to "master with slave present")
2. Go into BIOS and confirm that both Primary master and primary secondary are set to auto detect
Please post back when done and confirm all ok

Hucky 19:04 07 Sep 05

done that still bugger all

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 07 Sep 05

in...connected the ide cable and taken off the jumper to make it the slave

plugged a power cable in?

wobblymike 21:15 07 Sep 05

Try installing the 2nd hard drive on the secondary channel either as master or slave doesn't matter to see if that picks it up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…