hard drive

peter-225088 22:39 21 Jan 05

can anyone help with this prob my pc has started making alot of noise it sounds as if my hard drive is labouring it is only about 10 months old

Chezdez 22:45 21 Jan 05

defragment and scan disk

defrag - start > all programs > accesories > system tools > defragmentor

scan disk - right click on C: drive, properties, tools tab, scan disk

if you do scan disk, tick both the boxes on the options before it starts. then it will say that the computer needs be restarted before it do scan disk

reboot, and let us know if it sounds any better after that

Kev.Ifty 22:48 21 Jan 05

back it up!

Save any important stuff asap, just in case

SANTOS7 22:49 21 Jan 05

It may well be that something inside you tower is loose, i give my tower a tweak every now and then just to make sure everything is as secure as it should be,if your happy to look inside, maybe try that first......

Robotic_Rob 01:34 22 Jan 05

I dont think some thing is loose. As im guessing it aint a rattling sound or anything like that. I believe that when it starts to sound like that, the harddrive is either knackered or its in a need for a service(professionally).

hugh-265156 01:47 22 Jan 05

run a check on your hard drive with chkdsk just in case to check its ok as above or use click here (the online or desktop version should work just fine with all makes of drive)

if no errors are found it may just be your case fans need cleaning or replacing or your power suppily fan acting up maybe. open your case up and (dont laugh) put a kitchen roll tube to your ear and have a listen to the insides of your case when its running to find out where the noise is coming from maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…