hard drive

john1000 16:35 29 Apr 04

i am running windows 98 on a 40 gig hard drive my problem is that now and then my computer freezes not even the mouse works and there is a funny noise from my hard drive if i give my tower i tap noise goes off everything is ok. if i close windows down and boot up again i get a error message that says i might have an error on my hard disk it scans it and finds a bad sector the hard drive is just over one year old is it shot or is there something causing it to do this? help much appreciated

woodchip 16:40 29 Apr 04

It just sound like Vibration it should not do any harm. If it happens at the same time it may be the drive

john1000 16:47 29 Apr 04

the drive seams to stick makes like a clicking noise tap it goes ok but on reboot it always records error and finds bad sector i think it has had it can you get drives repaired

Rayuk 17:19 29 Apr 04

Have you checked whether it is still under warranty.
The price of hard drives now I dont think it would be economical to repair them.

Gongoozler 17:54 29 Apr 04

A 40G drive is under click here, repairing a drive would cost much more than that. The important thing is to make sure that all your important data is backed up. Hard drives often have a long warranty period, sometimes as much as 3 years, so check yours. Also make sure that the connections to your drive are in good condition because a loose connector or poor power supply can cause problems.

Gongoozler 17:57 29 Apr 04

That should have read "A 40G drive is under £40"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…