hard drive 120gig, xp only shows 80 gig

northburn 05:35 05 Jun 03

i have a 120gig(wd) hard drive installed on xp pro,xp installed from new,format ntfs, bios shows 120gig, xp shows 80 gig, disk manager shows 120 gig, any clues how to recover missing 40 gig please

Bolderick 08:52 05 Jun 03

Can you tell me what motherboard you have and if you know it the ATA speed of your new HDD and I might be able to help - no promises though...

northburn 15:40 05 Jun 03

motherboard is a shuttle, ata speed 100 of hard drive....cheers

Gaz 25 15:45 05 Jun 03

Have you partitioned correctly in XP?

northburn 17:56 05 Jun 03

on set up i let xp format drive, (as it was brand spanking new) i just left the default settings, ie format using ntfs, i don't recall using the option to partition,

duplo 18:18 05 Jun 03

go to control panel , then to Adminstrative tools, then to computer managment. Unter the storage section on the right hand side there should be "disk managment". Click on that- it should give you all the disks and partitions. It should show your main drive, and if it has been partitioned it will show you an 80GB section (the bit you see as C: drive) and 40GB that may be unassighned!

If you right click on the unassighned section and click format, select if you want NTFS/FAT 32, a name for it, and then OK it will format the 40GB.

When you go to my computer you will than have a C Drive and a D drive. I always like my drive partitioned, maked storage easy, I have a "windows" drive, a "media" drive and a "storage" drive.

Good luck... let us know if it works!

northburn 23:14 05 Jun 03

thanks for that, worked a treat, now have the missing bits..

andman123 15:44 30 Mar 04

I have a 120GB hard drive. Using win xp pro, in explorer, clicking on the C-drive in the left pane brings up all the folders/files on the right. Highlighting all of these, right clicking and choosing 'Properties' from the menu brings up a total used space of just under 11GB. Right clicking on the C-drive in My Computer and choosing 'Properties' informs me that there is over 80GB of used space and only 30GB free. So what is eating my hard drive?

I have emptied the recycle bin as well and removed temp files etc. I have used Norton Doctor to check the hard drive for errors and used Speed disk to de-frag it. This also reported a high 'used' area. But I don't know what it is!

The problem seems to have arisen after installing a slave drive (300GB). This is reporting used/free space ok.

Please help - otherwise I'll be left to backup the important stuff and re-format the drive.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac