hard drive

cazkenton2003 20:54 10 Nov 03

Have been using a 2gb hard drive,now have been given 40gb drive which is now installed on pc.40gb on pc properties is still showing 2gb.Have been into BIOS,the 2 drives won't work together either so I can transfer my files over.They are both FAT disks,the 2gb is a seagate and the new one is a Maxtor.Have even tried setting one as primary and one as slave but BIOS won't recognise anything.The 2gb has 98se on it and the new one has xp on it.Consequently as I have xp,the properties still show as 2gb and has used virtually all the space (or so the pc thinks)
Should I do a fdisk and reformat the new 40gb drive?.I need to transfer my files from the old to the new but cant seem to do it!!!

A_World_Maker 21:07 10 Nov 03

I assume they are both Bootable drives? You can only have 2 bootable drives installed, if you have software that controls which one boots the operating system. If all you want is a 'data' disc, then reformat the 'data' disc (not as a system disc), if you are going to use XP as your operating system, you would be better considering formating it as a NTFS rather than a Fat32 format. You can convert the disc with XP on it (assuming its also Fat32), using 'convert.exe' there are threads on here, whereby you can gain advice on how to do that.

You might also consider partitioning the 40gb disc into 2 - 20gb discs, much friendlier to defrag.

Daedrus 21:16 10 Nov 03

First things first. FAT will not go larger than a 2gb drive. FAT32 will. As will NTFS. Have you tried booting the system with only the 40gb hard drive installed as master? If that works set the other drive as slave and install it as a secondary drive. Follow A_World_Maker's instructions for converting the 40GB drive to NTFS. You might need to use PartitionMagic to enlarge the partition after converting it.

ollie < one> 22:45 10 Nov 03

woodchip 22:48 10 Nov 03

If the drive had XP on it before you put it in it will not boot from the drive as it should not be on that computer. If you format the new drive you may be able to see the full drive. use a win98 disc

cazkenton2003 13:58 11 Nov 03

Have tried using just the 40gb with xp on it in the pc set as amaster.Have tried installing the data disk as a slave but won't recognise it in BIOS.
Also where is the disk converter on windows xp start menu?Had one on 98 to convert the disks to Fat32 but can't find it on here.
But the 40gb is still not showing up on the pc.It is showing still as 2gb as drive C.Have nothing on drive D but the cd rom is E,so something has gone awry here.
Where also can I find Partition magic program?
I am completely baffled!

pj123 14:42 11 Nov 03

Give us a clue to the spec of your PC? What operating system, processor speed, memory etc....

Lone Crow 15:04 11 Nov 03

In setting the drives as master and slave did you do it using the tabs on the drives themselves or are you relying upon BIOS changes? The drives will not work together if both are tabbed as Master no matter what you set in the BIOS.

Partition Magic is a separate program from Windows, check out powerquest.com for info, etc.

You haven't made it clear whether the drive with XP on it has been 'gifted' to you. If so, it won't be possible to use unless the gift-horse is happy for you to re-register it to you. You would also need their Restore CD or whatever came with it. LC.

cazkenton2003 18:01 11 Nov 03

The 40gb hard drive was completely empty when I was given it.It is brand new.Straight out of the wrapper when I got it.
I set the jumpers on the back of the drives,one as master and one as slave.Then I set the BIOS.
Am currently using xp on the 40gb solely.The spec on the pc is Intel Celeron processor,running at 501mhz.I also have 128mb Ram but will upgrade to 256mb soon,as I can appreciate xp is very slow with this spec.I would be prepared to go back to 98se though.
I just want to get the pc to recognise my drives,both the slave and master,so I can transfer my files over and use the drive properly,not at the 2gb setting it currently is.

Daedrus 16:18 12 Nov 03

HAve you tried setting the second hard drive as Master on the secondary channel and see if it is recognized by the BIOS?

rowdy 16:26 12 Nov 03

Are you sure that the motherboard can handle discs this size? Considering your CPU it might be oldish and only recognise discs upto 8GB or 33Gb.

Post details of the motherboard or read the handbook.

If this is so then you could have to either flash the bios or jumper down the HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…