//some 3rd party need geo

Hard Disks and Windows, how they do it.

Epirb406 18:28 19 Oct 03

Hi all, well, I seem to be spending far too much time here lately!

I have invested in a second hard drive with the intention of using it as a back up and for music files, for a home Juke box.

So I now have two 80 gig hard drives, C and D, formatted and hapy with everything happening on C.

1st, a mystry, though I have neither read or written from my 2nd drive windows has created a restore and recycle bin on the drive, using up 37 MB.

2nd, this is where I want to end up, two drives 4 partitions, OS and Progs, Backup, Music, and photos.

Being a numpty I think I need some sort of idiots guide to boot sectors, partitioning and well, just the basics, any one any links?

Lastly, I would dearly love to do all this without a complete reinstall, I've got the Paragon Partition Manager (Freebie) will this do it?

Hope not too vague, point me in the right direction!

Cheers, Epirb.

recap 18:40 19 Oct 03

click here for boot sectors

click here for partitioning

Epirb406 18:55 19 Oct 03

Thanks for the links recap, I think that perhaps they are the second set of links I need!

I need to get to grips with exactly what Primary partions, Extended partitions and logical drives, etc etc.

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 20:54 20 Oct 03

Anyone any ideas where to get started?

Cheers, Epirb.

zanwalk 21:57 20 Oct 03

Hard disks can contain up to four Primary partitions. To overcome this limit, one or more of those Primary partitions can be an Extended partition which can contain any number of Logical partitions.

Primary partitions are necessary for Windows operating systems, (only Primary partitions are bootable), logical partitions are usually used for data.

Your Paragon software is certainly up to the job, and if you need more information on using it, try their website: click here

Dan 22:56 20 Oct 03

The best guide to Partitioning I read was a manual for an early version of PartitionMagic.

Your virgin drive hasn't got anything on it except for the mystery 37mb which I'd guess is actually some Windows files to do with the Restore system... so you really don't want the first part of this link which deals with Partitioning with Fdisk - which though good will also wipe the drive of any info.

click here?

however the second part of it shows illustrations from PMagic and may prove some explanation about what is actually happening.

You might also find it handy to view one of the downloadable docs on the PowerQuest site

click here

Chris the Ancient 08:24 21 Oct 03

Nice little story about partitioning here. It helped me when I was a bit vaguer on the subject than I am now!

Chris

ollie < one> 22:04 23 Oct 03

gg

Epirb406 18:04 24 Oct 03

Busy chasing them all, will mark solved before it hits the bottom of the page.

What was that link Chris, by the way.

Epirb.

krypt1c 18:44 24 Oct 03

Hi Epirb406 - There's a nice tutorial here re. partioning click here

Epirb406 19:47 24 Oct 03

thanks mate, put that one on the list, and it hasn't hit the bottom yet!

Epirb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…