Hard disk works intermitently

Stewart-205856 09:36 22 Mar 04

I have a Packard Bell Imedia and am having problems with my hard disk. When I turn the computer on it won't boot up and the hard disk make a clicking noise (like a car indicator).
However, occasionally it will boot up and can arrive at desk top but makes a loud whirring noise. I realise the hard disk must be failing in some way can I install new hard disk and transfer all programs and operating systems direct to the new disk. What is the easiest method for doing this?

Diemmess 10:37 22 Mar 04

If you are right and I think you are, you must act quickly and hope the HD lasts long enough to retrieve all you want.

There are other ways - but I would ................ Fit the new HD as a secondary drive....................Use a boot floppy or CD to boot the computer and ...... if possible partition the new HD so that there is one partition big enough to replace your original drive C: and a second one hopefully at least as large to keep an image file temporarily, and perhaps more data from the old HD.

Format the new HD appropriately

Use Norton Ghost or Drive Image to make a clone of your failing Drive C: on the second partition of your new HD.

Now at last......"restore" the clone to the First partition of your new HD....... If you make it this far you are nearly home!!!!!!!!

Now make the New HD the Primary HD and the old one the secondary.

The computer should now boot normally and the old HD may or may not be accessible depending on its state of health now.

You can delete the clone image on your second partition to save space, or keep it in case something goes pear-shaped soon.

It is possible that you amy need to play with the BIOS early on, but hopefully any HD changes will be recognised automatically

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…