Hard disk upgrade problem

Newuser2379 22:36 12 Nov 03

Can anybody out there help me please. I have just purchased a 60 Gb 100 ATA IDE hard disk to replace the 10 Gb that was supplied with my PC. I've taken out the old drive and slotted in the new one. When trying to boot from a floppy the system just sticks and doesn't attempt to access the floppy drive. I've also tried looking at the bios set-up, but this does not recognise that the new harddisk is there. I get a 'auto detecting primary master' message, which stays on the screen and doesn't move on. I've tried replacing the original hard drive and setting the new drive up as a slave. The 'add new hardware' in Windows control panel again does not detect the new drive, although the system operates quite normally from the original drive.
I've tested the hard disk in another (much older) PC and it appears to be working fine, the bios recognises it, and I can format it etc.
I've now put the old drive back in and everything appears to be working normally.

Daedrus 22:43 12 Nov 03

What type of system do you have?

Newuser2379 22:58 12 Nov 03

Its a Celeron 400 running Windows 98SE

Giggle n' Bits 22:59 12 Nov 03

set the first device to boot as Floppy and second as CDROM and third as EIDE.

Also check your new drive is being seen as 60GB in the Bios as Primary Master, use auto detect if its not.

Giggle n' Bits 23:01 12 Nov 03

conected to the drive with the faint red line facing towards the power molex on the drive and on Pin one on the M/board.

Newuser2379 23:24 12 Nov 03

Audio~Chip, The Bios loads A,C,SCSI, which is the only option that allows me to boot from floppy first. I've tried getting the Bios to auto detect the HDD but I get a 'auto detecting primary master' message, which stays on the screen and doesn't move on. I'm certain I've connected the cables correctly as I'm able to swap back my old disk.

DieSse 23:38 12 Nov 03

Your HDD is possibly too large for the BIOS to detect. Try putting the 32Gb capacity limiting jumper on - then try it again.

Newuser2379 08:51 18 Nov 03

Thanks all for your help. I decided in the end to upgrade the bios. This did the trick, the hard drive was recognised by the bios and I was then able to boot from the floppy drive and set up the new HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…