Hard disk trouble

prodway 16:24 27 Sep 03

Hi,im having a problem with my setup of hard drives.Iv recently reinstalled winxp and when i load my computer up and go to my computer my discs are showing 3 hard drives when i only have 2.It also shows that it has 8 gb of memory!!!it has it named as drive d which is what i want my main hdrive to be called(which is now f) but when i try removing this drive(or even renaming) i get this message"Windows cannot remove drive letter of your system volume or boot volume."Any ideas?so what i want to do is remove the hdrive that dosent exist(D) and change the name of my main hdrive to D.Thanks,Paul.

prodway 16:28 27 Sep 03

Sorry,i mean its named as "c" which is what i want my main hdrive to be.Thanks again.

MichelleC 16:54 27 Sep 03

If xp is like w2k: go into disc management and right-click your hd's, change each in turn, rebooting after each single change. ie you can't change 'e' to c' if 'c' is already assigned. If you see 3 hd's in disc management then that's what you've got.

MichelleC 16:56 27 Sep 03

...or rather 3 partions (not necessarily physical hd's).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…