Hard Disk - Spoke Too Soon Also

The Paul 16:39 06 Jan 05

Hi - I thought that this problem had been resolved but its simply returned.

Link takes you to the original thread. click here After downloading the bootable discs, I went through the whole process of setting up the disk and installing Win98. It did work as I was able to get into the HD using My Comp and saw that it was 10GB and that so much had been used by the OS and everything. It was there in the BIOS too.

Well - its vanished, no boot up, no show in BIOS nothing. Any ideas?

Diemmess 17:12 06 Jan 05

If you mean that it initially boots as far as being able to check the BIOS and that the HD doesn't appear there or on any of the DOS screens then it seems there is a fault either at the motherboard or IDE controller level.

If it does show at the early stages but stops when Windows should be loading, then you could check the contents of the HD by booting instead from a floppy to the A:> prompt and typing -" dir C: "

It is possible that there is some intermittent fault in the HD, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Gongoozler 17:16 06 Jan 05

If the drive doesn't show in BIOS, then this could be a faulty drive, faulty cable (ide or power), or faulty motherboard.

The Paul 17:25 06 Jan 05

It doesnt show in the BIOS now but it did after I used the bootable discs from Seagate. After using these discs I was able to see the HD, install Win98 to it and use Win98. I shut it down and bamm - all gone again.

I've changed the ribbon, I've tried an old disk - nothing. I've just tried booting from the Win98 CD ROM and it tells me there is no hard disk or a fault with the connections or needs a driver.

I'll look up the web for info on drivers after that I'm all out of ideas.

Gongoozler 18:01 06 Jan 05

BIOS doesn't know about Windows drivers. All it needs to recognise the hard drive is for the drive to be working, correctly connected by it's ribbon to the motherboard and by its power lead to +5V and +15V, for the motherboard hardware to be working correctly and for the BIOS firmware to be correct. Can you connect another drive (hard drive or CD drive) to the same IDE connector to see if the BIOS recognises that?

The Paul 18:05 06 Jan 05

Have done this with a 2nd HD and set as Slave. The BIOS sees nothing except the CD ROM.

What I cannot figure out is why everything went perfectly with the Seagate floppy stuff including the Windows installation and then nothing. I dont think the Seagate drive is the problem - so does that leave HD driver and MoBo as the culprits?

The Paul 19:23 06 Jan 05

>bump<

Gongoozler 20:10 06 Jan 05

If by HD driver you mean the software one in Windows, no that isn't involved at this stage. If you mean the driver chip on the motherboard (or integrated into the motherboard Southbridge chip), yes it could be anything on the motherboard involved in driving the IDE bus. It could also be the power connector, though that is fairly beefy and unlikely to fail.

THE TERMINATOR 20:23 06 Jan 05

Right, here we go. Windows aint booting up.
1) If you have 2 IDE cables put one HDD(the one with windows on it) on the first, and the other HDD on the second.(both set as master)
2) Your cd drive should be put on the 1st cable(connector 2)and set as slave.
3) Start the pc and go into BIOS and set all the drive peramiters to AUTO save and exit BIOS. Post the result....TT

THE TERMINATOR 20:26 06 Jan 05

Make sure ALL the cables are correctly fitted into the drive and mobo as well....TT

The Paul 20:51 06 Jan 05

Cheers folks.

TT - I'm away to do as you suggest. I'll be back (to coin a phrase)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…