hard disk space woes...

JohnnyAlucarD 04:03 19 Jun 05

Hi - I have a Sony Vaio. The hard drive is deivided into 2 seperate drives, the first (18.6)gb is almost full (I think it holds my program files? including my pictures, documents etc) while the second 13.9 gb is almost empty. I don't understand the principles of the partitioned disk drive, so I keep getting warnings that I am low on disk space however I don't know how to place some program files into the 2nd partition. Could someone help me get the best space usage please?
My programs are slow to load and messages asking for more disk space keep popping up.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Catastrophe 07:46 19 Jun 05

You can move files from 1st to 2nd. Just open these drives (double click on icons) and either cut and paste or copy and paste (safer), deleting 1st copy when you know second is safe. Better still back up moved files at the same time.

bremner 07:47 19 Jun 05

You would not be able to simply move the programs from one drive to the other - you would need to uninstall off one and reinstall onto the other.

However you can simply drag and drop your pictures and documents from one drive to the other.

You could also run 'Disk Cleanup' over the full drive. In My Computer right click the drive - choose Properties and click 'Disk Cleanup'.

Catastrophe 08:11 19 Jun 05

Of course bremner is right about program files because of registry entries. But you mentioned pictures which presumably are not program files?

:)

wee eddie 08:45 19 Jun 05

Copy & Paste all your files to 2nd Partition.

Delete the Files that you have Pasted into the 2nd Partition.

In the 1st Partition.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Delete the Temporary Files in Internet Explorer. IE > Internet Properties > Temporary Internet Files > Delete Files.

Run De-fragment the 1st Partition.

You'll be staggered at the swift responses of your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…