Hard disk sometimes takes a while to spin!

MartynHoll 13:40 07 Jun 04

I have noticed recently that the BIOS checks stop at testing the primary hard drive and then after a few seconds you hear the hard drive start spinning and the checks continue and all is well. Sometimes it's fine, other times it can take 15-20 seconds - is the hard disk on it's way?

MartynHoll 09:23 08 Jun 04

Has anyone got any ideas on this one? I have just disabled Power management as I did find some information on the web that suggested that this might cause the problem. I have not tested since doing this.

MartynHoll 23:02 10 Jun 04

Any ideas?

sorefingers 23:05 10 Jun 04

...I can't help you Martin....just thought you'd like some sort of reply!

Good Luck

sean-278262 23:28 10 Jun 04

have you tried changing the boot order my old computer used to take forever to boot it was due to the hdd taking a while to wake it lazy arse up and get going but it was nearly 4 years old!I set it to first and all was well.

Cook2 23:54 10 Jun 04

Some months ago I had a similar problem coupled with a 'whining' noise, car with a naff battery comes to mind. It didn't take long for my drive to stop all together. So you may be right about your HD being on the way out.

MartynHoll 11:03 02 Jul 04

I have now changed my hard disk for a new one (just in case!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…