Hard Disk Size and Maximum Memory - XP Home

Peter 22:40 13 Aug 07

I am about to acquire a 4 to 5 year old computer which is running XP Home and is fitted with a 38GB hard drive and 512Meg of RAM. I would like to fit a larger hard drive and more memory, but will I have a potential problem with too large a hard drive and is there an optimum amount of memory to use with Windows XP Home?

I know the above is a bit vague and that I could just buy a new machine, but I don't want to go over to Vista for a while.

Peter.

brundle 22:43 13 Aug 07

512MB of RAM is adequate for XP, 1GB is preferable - you only /need/ more than that if you do serious CAD/graphics/digital audio/video work. Any hard-drive size will work if you have Service Pack 2.

skidzy 22:43 13 Aug 07

You should be fine if the system is up to date with services packs and updates.

Get your ram from crucial click here
The amount of ram will depend on your motherboard.
Lets say you bought another 512MB,that will be fine for xp,actually it should fly along.

skidzy 22:44 13 Aug 07

I can hear an echo Brundle Lol.

brundle 22:48 13 Aug 07

Great minds etc :)

Input Overload 22:50 13 Aug 07

Ideally a Gig.

Peter 22:54 13 Aug 07

Thanks for your replies. Is it possible that the BIOS will limit the hard disk size that can be used? I tried to fit a 10.8GB drive to a 1996 Windows 95 machine and only 8GB could be seen unless I used track translation software. Apparently there was a 1024 track limit. I want to avoid "track translation software" as it slows down the drive access.

Peter.

skidzy 22:59 13 Aug 07

You should be fine if sp2 is installed.

Windows has come a long way since 95.

I doubt you would need a bios update.

brundle 22:59 13 Aug 07

There was an issue with SP1 only seeing 137GB but that was addressed with SP2. I have a 250GB SATA drive working flawlessly in this XP machine. If the BIOS of the machine refuses to see larger drives then you may have a problem - it depends on the modes it will accept, Normal, LBA or Large are commonly seen in older BIOS versions.

Peter 23:04 13 Aug 07

Thanks for your help. Once I get hold of the machine I will be able to get a better look at it and decide what needs improving.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter.

Peter 23:06 13 Aug 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…