Hard disk showing wrong size.

Mavisk 08:48 02 May 05

I have a 120gig hard drive that is now showing that it only has a total size capacity of 70.6 gig.
If I click on disk management it shows the size as correct 111.70 gig, but then if I right click the same drive and choose properties it shows the size as 70.6 gig, and shows the reduced capacity if I click on "My Computer".
I have acronis partition expert which shows the size
to be correct 111.70 gig but is showing used space
as 56.8 gig and available space as 54.9 gig,when in reality
have only used about 16 gig.
I am using win XP
Any Ideas how I can get my drive back to the right size?

Thanks

rawprawn 08:50 02 May 05

Have a look in Admin Tools/ Disc management there may be a partition that needs to be formatted.

Mavisk 09:06 02 May 05

Hi
Thanks for the reply,in Admin/tools/disc management it shows the size as correct 111 gig.
The strange thing is if I then right click and choose properties it shows capacity as 70.6 gig and used space 15.8 gig
The only other thing ,it shows is 16mb of unallocated space.
Thanks.

selfbuild 09:32 02 May 05

Does the BIOS detect the correct size of the drive?

Mavisk 09:48 02 May 05

Yes the bios detects the correct size 120 gig.

selfbuild 09:58 02 May 05

In Disk Management, how many boxes are there along the Disk 0 row?

Mavisk 10:10 02 May 05

There are two boxes the C drive showing the correct
size 111 gig and a box showing 16 mb of unallocated space the only option in this box is to create a new partition
which I've tried but it doesn't make any difference to the wrong size in windows on drive C.

rawprawn 10:15 02 May 05

You don't say if this is your C: if it is a slave you could reformat it, but from your post I suspect it is C:

Mavisk 10:21 02 May 05

Yes its the C drive with XP on it that is showing the wrong size in windows.
I've recently done a clean reinstall and it has
definitely been showing as the correct size until today.

rawprawn 10:58 02 May 05

I,m at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest. Maybe someone else can come up with a solution.It seems starnge that it was showing the correct size and then suddenly changed.

selfbuild 11:02 02 May 05

Have you run Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter lately?

Also check on how much System Restore has been allocated..... 40gig is a hella of alot of space to suddenly lose.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…