Hard disk problems again

ricvic 09:15 03 Feb 03

Following what seemed to be catastophic hard drive failure click here (thank you to everyone who advised me) the HD seems to be Ok except that it makes a noise getting going. Once up to speed it runs ok. Scandisk reports no errors, Norton AV replaced a possible MBR problem and then reported no errors.
Despite Scandisk I'm taking a warning that the HD is on the way out and have backed up all my stuff. I'm off to Novatech later today for a new barebones system and HD.

If the disk is faulty I'll claim on the warranty (I bought it in Sept 01) Before I get the CC out is there anything else I should try?

thanks, as always, in advance

R

MichelleC 11:40 03 Feb 03

There is a program called Gwscan on the bootdisk on Gateways web page. This tests the read/write heads of your hdd. The best way to find it is to download from the ftp site, click here
download the file win9598.exe to your desktop, run the program to create the boot disk, restart from the bootdisk, quit to dos and type "cd gwscan" should bring you to C:\GWSCAN> from there run gwscan.exe and choose test drive option. It will tell if the hdd is on its last legs or if it can be repaired.

ricvic 14:02 03 Feb 03

Michelle,
Thank you for that link.
I'll certainly try it.

R

ricvic 16:39 03 Feb 03

THe drive (Quantun Fireball) passes the manufacturers diagnositcs - indeed it seems to be running without problem. Perhaps any fault is elsewhere. I'll close this now and see what happens in the next few days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…