//some 3rd party need geo

Hard disk problem

flavas 14:39 19 Jul 05

Hi pros
have a problem with a maxtor 20 gb hard drive(fat 32). Served as a Master drive on a desktop.
xp proffesional, p3.
Anyway i removed the slave drive (80gb ntfs) in order to test another hard disk that was corrupted with a boot sector virus.
Managed to sort out the other hard disk but the master drive did not boot after that.
Hence i tried chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbd
but seems like i did more harm than good.
The message on boot
ntldr missing, press any key to start.
On chkdsk
volume serial number is 0000-0000

IS THERE ANY WAY OF RECOVERING the data?

Diemmess 16:29 19 Jul 05

There must be a way, because with all your frantic efforts you don't seem to have done anything that would remove data.

Its what you actually have on the HD that bothers me. Is it perhaps possible that in cleaning the other HD your own is now infested? Perhaps you have access to another well protected PC which can read your duff HD.

Time for some input from one who knows more than I do, and that shouldn't be difficult!

Underdogs 19:20 19 Jul 05

If your ntldr file is missing, windows can not start up. There is a well documented fix for this on Microsoft's web site which is to long to copy here. Hope this helps...

flavas 19:27 19 Jul 05

Thanks guys(diem +u/dog) for the suggestions.
So far I have the troubled hd as a slave drive
on a clean system, the properties indicated of the hard drive are
file system :fat
free space 2.75mb
Total size 10.1mb
I assume that's the MBR it is reffering to. The other section of the hard drive (>=19gb) is not accessible.
Is there a way of deleting the 10mb MBR partion?
Thanks

daxian 19:51 19 Jul 05

hi flavas.....
a friend had the same prob recently ...
you will need to check that the bios is "seeing"
the master drive ,by installing the corrupt drive the bios will have detected that one ,and will still be looking for it .
put in the master drive only and go into the bios and detect drives .....that should sort out the problem ....Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…