Hard Disk Problem

igc 15:16 21 Aug 03

I'm trying to fit a larger hdd (60Gb) to a current PC which runs W98SE and has two hdds (8.4Gb and 20.4Gb) the latter with three partitions. Having removed these hdds and fitted the 60Gb as primary master prior to loading Win98, the PC recognises the hdd by part number during boot up but does not allow me to proceed. The "Press F4 to Skip" message which appears alongside the hdd part number does not work, and I can't bypass it. I have fitted the 60Gb to an older PC and it works as expected although limited to 8.4Gb. Win98SE is now set up on this hdd and runs on the old PC. Refitting the hdd to the current PC gives exactly the same results as reported, ie., I can't get past the "Press F4 to Skip" point. With original hdds restored, the current PC performs as required.
Any thoughts would be welcomed - Ivorg

seedie 15:39 21 Aug 03

It's possible your motherboard BIOS won't support a hard drive that big. I've got a 40 gig and have to insert parameters manually, if I try auto detect the bios hangs. If you like life on the edge you could try updating(flashing) your BIOS

CD

seedie 18:50 21 Aug 03

Any other thoughts on this ?

CD

igc 11:47 22 Aug 03

CD - Thanks for input. Current PC Award Bios is dated 1999 and needs updating and I have set in motion an update via Phoenix. However, the old PC has an Award Bios dated 1996, but still allows the 60Gb hdd to work OK, allbeit with limited space. Puzzling eh! Thanks again - Ivorg

BigMoFoT 11:53 22 Aug 03

The limited space will be due to the filing system, fat32 not being able to cope with a HDD of that size

DieSse 12:01 22 Aug 03

A new drive doesn't have a filing system. FAT32 can (in theory) use drives up to just over 2000Gb.

Mike D 12:09 22 Aug 03

Dependent upon the manufacturer of the bigger drive, you may be able to obtain or download software to enable W98 to support this size, I know for a fact that Western Digital and Maxtor supply floppies (who said the floppy is dead?)with a form of BIOS support with their disks

Mike

TBH1 12:16 22 Aug 03

w98se will support drives this big - - and bigger I believe. I think your best couse of action is to maybe start again - - -install as primary/master and fdisk then format / install.

DieSse 12:25 22 Aug 03

igc has correctly identified his problem as with the BIOS. No amount of software/drivers is going to be able to use a drive than hangs up during the BUOS detection process.

DieSse 12:55 22 Aug 03

or even the BIOS detection process.

rickf 13:02 22 Aug 03

you also need to enable large disk recognition when asked at set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now