Hard Disk Partitions - What size ?

cosi 15:52 02 May 03

I have scanned a lot of threads about this, so I know there is a lot of knowledge out there. I have also read quite a few articles. I believe I understand some of the factors to consider when deciding how many partitions of what size: block size, defrag time, separate data types, separate OS & data, unique swap file partition, back up mirror partition etc, etc. But actually deciding on some sizes is making me dizzy.

So, can I type into you experts out there for some recommendations please:

A separate partition for the OS (XP Pro) ? How big ?

A separate partition for the swap file ? How big ?

A separate partition for other applications. I can work this out. But are there any application types that would run better if they hard there own partition ?

A separate partition for small data files (i.e Office etc). Again I can work this size out. Anything I should bear in mind ?

I am planning to use my kit for audio & video work. So I should probably have a separate partitioning for each othese data types. To help decide the size, can someone tell me roughly how many MBs per minute one needs for this. I know it depends on what format one is using, but a ball park figure will do. I picked up from somewhere that MPEG2 (I think) video needs around 10MB/minute of recording. Is that about right ? What about audio ?

I have two (fairly big)hard drives available. Of course I will be backing up key data files. But is there any sense in introducing redundancy by mirroring the OS & application files onto the second hard drive (sort of manual RAID 1) ?

Sorry it's a lot of questions, Hopefully the answers will be useful to others.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

MartinT-B 16:03 02 May 03

I had on 98SE a separate partition (4 x RAM) for my swapfile.

I actually don't bother to move my Paging file (XP's version of Swapfile) to a separate partition as you can 'tweak' it and limit/set it to any given size using Admin tools.

The Following is a personal opinion. I use my XP at home mainly as a home ent system (Gaming, DVD, Music, TV etc.) I don't compose many letters or do my accounts on it. With that in mind I prefer all my applications to be on the C drive. I have a D: drive for back-up of Saves files, Email, Favourites etc.

On my 80GB disk 70GB is C: and 10 is D:Backup.

I am shortly to purchase another drive to store rip the rest of my CD collection as 15GB of my C: drive are MP3 and wma files which would be better off on another partition in case I need to re-install windows for any reason.

In short, my philosophy is Programs and Applications on C: Back-up and Data on D: and E:

One final point. I have my DVD as Y: and my CDR-R/W as Z: so I don't have to worry when and if I add more drives/partitions.

cosi 11:18 14 May 03

MartinT-B, thanks for your response. By the way, in case your interested (since you gave me the idea anyway), I have started a new thread about using our PCs as Home Ent systems...you may want to join.

Search for messages since 11 May with the words home entertainment in the title. That should find it.

stlucia 14:14 14 May 03

Just a comment on the space needed for video work -- 10mb per minute may be okay for MPEG2 files, but if you're downloading full-quality .avi files (i.e. the raw data) from a video camera for editing you will need about 500mb per minute. There are ways of editing and creating MPEG files from the camera without downloading all the raw data, but in my opinion its so much simpler to dump it all onto the HDD first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…