Hard disk partitions

jz 18:59 16 Oct 04

I wondered what the latest thinking on partitioning a hard disk is when installing or re-installing Windows. Is is still worth doing? I assuming a big hard disk, 120Gbyte or more.

A friend suggesting having a 20Gbyte partition for Windows and programmes (Office, photo editor, games, etc), the rest in another partition. This makes re-installing Windows possible without messing up most user data. The second partition can be split into 'logical' partitions comprising 4.7Gbyte for user data (eg Word processor files), 4.7Gbyte for photos, and the rest for videos (if doing video editing). He suggested 4.7Gbyte for user data and photos since this will fit nicely on a DVD when doing a backup.

What do you think of his idea? Any alternative suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 16 Oct 04

Have a 120G HDD split in two partions data on D:
Files saved into different folders for photos / music /docs etc. start new folder when folder size reaches 4.3G

Mike2002 19:29 16 Oct 04

A separate partition just for your operating system (C:/) was the best thing my son did for me the last time I re-installed Windows 98SE.
Now, with the aid of a program like 'Acronis True Image' I can re-install my C;/ backup in under 10 minutes.

If you have lots of programs to re-install, plus all your original installation CDs; Motherboard drivers, Modem drivers, Sound driver, Monitor driver, ISP settings, etc etc, all these take ages. Not to mention loads of little tweaks and settings you've added from time to time.

When something suddenly goes wonky, or if you want to reverse things to how they were - you can't beat a backed-up partition.

jz 14:01 17 Oct 04

Thanks both for your replies.

Mike2002: Is the separate partition for your programmes as well as for your operating system?

woodchip 14:43 17 Oct 04

When you load a program, be it on any partition, the program writes the registry and sometimes load files onto the C:\drive. so if you restore windows C:\drive the programs will not work. That's why the best way is, by all means partition your hard drive, but make a image of C:\drive with ghost or Acronis True Image, when the computer it working just as you want it and before you accumulate rubbish by installing and removing programs to try out. You can then at any time restore the Image to put it back just as when you created it. But without the rubbish.

jz 19:20 19 Oct 04

Thanks woodchip, very interesting.

Are there any freeware disk image programmes that anyone can recommend.

woodchip 23:50 19 Oct 04

Acronis True Image comes on Mag CD's that's where I got my CD

jz 17:46 21 Oct 04

Thanks woodchip, I'll look out for it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…