Hard disk partition disaster

faith5 20:49 25 Jun 03

A while ago I added a second hard drive of 80GB to my system which I originally partitioned using the supplied install disk into a 60/20 split.

I then got into video editing and decided I would like to unpartition the drive and get it back to its original state. To do this I tried to use Partition Commander (supplied as a full product free on a magazine cover disk) which said it was good for novices such as myself with easy to follow instructions.

Well, you can probably guess the rest. I tried to delete the 20Gb partition but ended up completely wiping my main disk!! I have now reinstalled this but my second drive now only has 60GB on it.

I have deleted it from device manager and reformatted it but the computer tells me that it is a 60GB disk and all manner of system tools report the same.

I am at my wits end to work out how to get the other 20GB back. Surely it must be there somewhere? Can anyone please help?

I thought about buying Partition Magic but my fear is about spending £50 to find that this too thinks it is a 60GB disk.

howard60 20:54 25 Jun 03

you probably have just made the 20gb not dos active. If you have a startup disk put it in and boot the pc. I assume that there is nothing left on the drive so more damage can be done. type fdisk and one of the options lists what it sees. You may well find that the 20gb has been set as non active.

leo49 20:59 25 Jun 03

Be careful you don't wipe your main HDD again....:o)

nurn 21:03 25 Jun 03

If you are using xp you can not use fdisk if you have formatted usig ntfs I had a problem just like it no body could help down loaded max blastIII and power max from maxtors site(free) and it made the hard drive readable on the 20 gb partion Not sure which one did it though but it wasn't the format comand

Psiman 21:17 25 Jun 03

howard60 has probably hit the nail on the head. If you are comfortable using DOS, then all you have to do is fdisk, create an extended and logical partition then format to regain your 80MB.

To outlay for Partition Magic 8.0 to regain 20GB of HDD space doesn't make economic sense when HDD memory costs £1 per GB at present, unless you will use PM for other reasons. (personally I wouldn't be without it).

Bodi 21:30 25 Jun 03

I'm not suggesting to use fdisk for partitioning the disk, unless you have to, but you can view partitions through fdisk and change the drive to view. Incidentally, I use Windows 98se and so use fidisk.

When using fdisk on a drive that is already partitioned with fdisk, to make it into one drive you will have to a) remove all logical drives, b) remove all extended drives and c) remove the primary partition.

Hope this helps

Psiman 21:53 25 Jun 03

faith5 click here for good reading. As Bodi correctly states, you need to delete all partitions on the disk before creating new ones.

Quiller. 22:13 25 Jun 03

If you want to use FDISK then you will see 5 options when you open it up. Pick option 5 first. This will list your master and slave hard drives. Highlight your slave drive and then you can work on this.

Then do as Bodi suggests.

faith5 19:43 26 Jun 03

Many thanks to Bodi and Bsod, you are the business - I have used fdisk as advised and my second drive is back to its full 80GB capacity.

I now only have one very slight problem which you may be able to advise me on (some people are never happy!).

As a result of using the startup disk, every time I boot up I now get an extra screen display which says "Starting Windows Millenium Emergency Boot" followed by several lines of code.

This hangs around for about 30 seconds. Any idea how I can get rid of it to speed up my boot sequence?

Bodi 21:45 26 Jun 03

I'm not sure about this. Why are you using the Emergency boot disk to boot your machine?

Why can't you boot from your 'C' drive? Am I missing something here?

faith5 22:43 26 Jun 03

I am booting from my C drive.

What I meant was that this screen has only started appearing since I used the startup disk to sort out my partition problem.

Also, when booting and before this screen appears it seeks the A drive (there is no disk in the drive) so could this be something I can resolve in the BIOS by altering the boot sequence?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…