Hard disk not shown by Windows Explorer

mikeling 20:10 11 May 03

I have recently installed a second hard drive (IBM Deskstar) inside my PC which I have configured (by way of the jumpers) as a slave drive to my current ‘C’ drive.

When I start the PC the new disk is recognised by the BIOS and shown in the POST but is not shown by explorer. If I go the Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Disk Drives, the new hard drive is shown as a generic IDE type 47 unit. If I click on properties, the ‘device status’ is shown as ‘The device is working properly’. When I select the ‘settings’ tab, no drive letter is shown as being allocated and the drive letter assignment boxes are ‘greyed out’.

I have tried changing the order of the two hard disks on the drive cable but it makes no difference.

Can any one please offer any help?

Many thanks.

rmn 20:15 11 May 03

did you format the harddrive? what o/s are you using?please let us know.have you got partition magic or boot magic installed?

Beas-Knees 20:16 11 May 03

Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive,Windows will not recognise it until you have.

Cathode 21:22 11 May 03

If you are using Win XP in the run command type "Diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes, & see if it shows there, you may have to assign it a drive letter by right clicking the disk (if shown).

mikeling 19:48 12 May 03

Thanks to you all for your help. The problem is know resolved. I disconnected the original hard drive and then partitioned and formatted the new drive which I configured as master. I then reconfigured it as a slave and reconnected the old drive. Everything is now working fine.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…