Hard disk noise during boot up

chrismuir 22:11 09 Jun 03

Hi

When my PC is booting up the hard disk makes a louder than normal whirring noise like it is speeding up and slowing down. Once it loads windows XP the noise disappears and it remains that way (quiet) for the rest of the session, only occuring when I boot the PC up next. I am curious as to what it may be and if I can do anything about it.

I have a maxtor 60Gb hard disk, and am running windows XP SP1. The processor is an Athlon XP1800+ on a gigabyte GA-7 motherboard with 512Mb DDR RAM. Also on the PC are 2 CD drives, an additional 6Gb hard disk and a number of USB devices (scanner, card reader, joystick), it is not likely to be power supply related is it?

Ta

Chris

DieSse 22:18 09 Jun 03

Are you sure you haven't left a CD in a CD-Drive, as this would make the kind of noise, in the kind of way, you describe.

hugh-265156 23:01 09 Jun 03

as above are you sure its the hd?

my graphics card fan does this at start up sometimes,once in windows its ok.

open the case and with a rolled up tube of some sort to your ear locate the source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…