Hard Disk Lost

AL E Mirror 22:34 02 Mar 06

On boot up my friends computer cannot find the hard drive, in the bios under cmos no details of the hard drive is shown

007al 22:36 02 Mar 06

Check the cable connections to the hard drive and motherboard.Make sure pc is switched off first

AL E Mirror 22:40 02 Mar 06

Thanks 007al but this did not solve the problem

007al 22:58 02 Mar 06

Try resetting CMOS by taking the battery out for a short while.Also,check BIOS for an option to detect drives

ade.h 23:50 02 Mar 06

Perhaps it just won't boot; I've seen plenty of HDDs (and had a couple myself) which have failed to boot no matter what, with either a damaged boot mechanism (hardware) or boot sector (software).

Either way, they work fine when you plug 'em in as a slave and boot from another disk, which means all is not lost data-wise.

In the case of hardware failure, you can even make an image of the drive's contents, copy it to a new disk, and get completely back to normal.

AL E Mirror 16:09 03 Mar 06

Can a boot sector be repaired and if so how?

ade.h 18:04 03 Mar 06

In the case of a corrupt boot sector, it can often be fixed. One method is to run the Recovery Console, which can either be installed from the Windows CD (before it is required) so that it is available from the F8 menu, or in your case, you can boot from the CD (you may need to adjust the boot device priorities in BIOS obviously) and select Repair from the blue menu that appears.

woodchip 18:56 03 Mar 06

When he said check the Cable, he meant with a new one.

Audeal 21:08 03 Mar 06

I have had this problem quite often, until recently when I found out what my problem was.

Over a period of time the heat generated from the computer tends to streach (the only word I can think of) the four metal connectors in the power plugs to the Hard Drives and consequently causes a bad contact with the hard drive pins.

I took a thin screw driver and closed up these contacts slightly by pushing the screw driver down beside the metal contact and the nylon plug, so they fitted the pins tightly.

I have had not further trouble with this lost drive since. In fact I had the same problem only today with my DVD rw and fixed it the same way.

AL E Mirror 16:29 04 Mar 06

Thanks everyone for yoyr help seems to be ok now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac