hard disk formatting problems

bigboab y 09:22 22 Jan 03
  bigboab y 09:22 22 Jan 03

I am trying to fit a MAXTOR 82561D3 2.5 gigs hard drive into a Compaq desktop ..replacing a 600megs drive... after reading all the discussions on here,I ran FDISk using a windows me startup disk .. this seemed to go ok.. but when I ran format c: I got a message saying "invalid media type reading drive c ".. I believe this drive had windows NT on it and was partitioned in some way .. tho I made the partitioning at 100% on fdisk... any ideas on the problem guys/gals...?????

BrianW 10:03 22 Jan 03

Try fdisk /mbr to clear the master boot record, this should remove any record of NT

bigboab y 10:29 22 Jan 03

Your a bloody genius Brian... ran the fdisk/mbr.. thot nothing had happened... ran format c: got same media message...restarted,then ran format again... yippeee.. now got a hard 2.4 gig hard drive with 2.4 gigs free.. must have been the bits of NT which was the problem .. buy yourself a pint and put it on my tab..

BrianW 11:49 22 Jan 03

Glad it worked - don't forget to tick as resolved.

bigboab y 13:03 22 Jan 03

Not yet Brian .. the setup menu is in DUTCH!!! can that be changed???

woodchip 13:35 22 Jan 03

It's because it's a DUTCH setup disc but you may be able to get round this when it gets to the Language choice you need to select British UK or UK just press the enter key until you get to language

bigboab y 13:56 22 Jan 03

Cheers guys w98 is working fine !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…