hard disk format.

BREEN 11:20 13 Sep 03

I need a blow by blow advice on how to reformat my main 100 g hardrive which is full of rubbish and getting slower by the day.

The operating system is 98.I have backed up all my files to my second 5g drive.

Any help mucch appreciated.

VoG II 11:27 13 Sep 03
  holly polly 11:37 13 Sep 03

hi what make is the hard drive? as it is usualy so much easier to goto the manafacturers website and download the tool for this purpose from there ,using fdisk and format can be very daunting for a beginner-i installed a new maxtor hdd in this comp the other day downloaded the relevant tool which enables you to make a bootdisc popped it in ,loaded in partioned and formatted hdd in about 60 secs {though yours will proberly take a little longer as it is -as u say full of rubbish}result hdd formatted and so so so much easier if u supply the hdd make i will gladly point u to their website and the relavent tool -have fun -hol pol...

rnne10341 11:47 13 Sep 03

I would recommend removing your 5 GB drive so there is NO possibility of reformatting it instead. With only the 100 GB drive in the PC, insert your Win 98 emergency floppy and boot the PC to a DOS a:> prompt. Type format C: and then press Enter. (Note the space between format and C:) You will be warned that all data will be lost. Select Yes and Enter to start. It usually takes a fair time to complete. At the end, you can now install Windows again on the clean drive. I think a Win 98SE emergency floppy will be required to start the computer with CD-ROM support, so that the setup.exe file on the CD can be executed. I.E type setup.exe and press Enter at the a:> prompt this time.

BREEN 12:49 13 Sep 03

Thanks to everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…