hard disk failure help needed

sara2000 16:13 24 Aug 03

hi, please can someone help,
when i switch my computer on it starts off loading and peeps as normal, then a message comes up "PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAIL" i was told i needed a new hard drive so i bought one and connected it all up but when i switch my computer on it still does the same
any ideas????????
please help!!

DieSse 16:21 24 Aug 03

Have you tried fitting a new IDE cable too? - might be well worth a go.

Have you tried a different power plug into the drive - perhaps that's bad.

And can you tell us a litle more about your system please.

There's also the unlikely, but still slightly possible chance, that the new drive is faulty too.

T0SH 16:41 24 Aug 03

You will need to partition,format and install an operating system on the new hard drive before you can use it
The exact how to depends on what version of Windows you have

For Win 9x or Me
click here

For Win XP
click here

Cheers HC

sara2000 16:41 24 Aug 03

thanx DieSse,
will give ur suggestions ago and let u know
cheers
sara

sara2000 16:49 24 Aug 03

thanx tosh,
my computer is windows 98
i'm not thick honnest just dont no much about computers
can i partition,format and install an operating system on the new hard drive whilst my computer is down i cant even get it to go to the windows 98 start up screen it just freezes whilst loading up then displays the message about hard drive failure.
sara

anchor 17:14 24 Aug 03

Can you boot your PC using a Win-98 boot floppy disc?. If so, you can access format, f-disc, etc: from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…