Hard Disk Failure?

prince midas 16:57 20 Jul 07

A bought a new computor about 18 months ago.
When booting up it as always shown a screen saying Insert CD & it then waits a minute & then boots up no problem.At the age of 13 months when the guarantee had run out it started coming up with an error message after the insert CD message saying Hard Disk Failure insert System Disk.

My computor is fitted with Main Hard Drive & a 2nd Hard Drive in a Caddie.

After spending weeks trying to solve this problem which was very intermittent I finally replaced the Main Hard Drive & the problem went away for 3 months.

It the reappeared so I replaced the 2nd caddie Hard Drive & the problem went away for another
4 months.

Lo & behold the machine which I have been running without the caddie for about a week as I only use the caddie when doing a Ghost backup came up with the error message please insert system disk hard drive failure.So I shut down the machine inserted the caddie & yes it is booting up at the moment with no problems.I will remove the caddie & try the machine without it for a few days but if the problem comes back which way do I go from here having already replace 2 hard drives in the last 6 months?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 20 Jul 07

HDD not always detected in BIOS
As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

woodchip 17:05 20 Jul 07

sounds like something else that is the problem. may be over volts from the PSU. You can check these with a tester by backprobing the ATX power plug while switched on. volts are only low. Volts that it should be click here

Gongoozler 17:14 20 Jul 07

An 18month old machine should certainly not be having repeated hard drive failures. I did work on a computer a few years ago that had two hard drives fail in a fairly short time. I replaced the motherboard as part of an upgrade and also replaced the PSU, and there have been no hard drive failures since. Unfortunately because I replaced both the motherboard and PSU at the same time I can't say which of them solved the problem, and as both interface with the hard drive it could have been either.

prince midas 17:27 20 Jul 07

This machine as now a new main drive only 6 months old & a second drive in a caddie only 4 months old.

Why it needed me to insert the 2nd caddie hard drive to make it boot up is beyond me.
I will look at the Bios boot sequence & try to delay it but if the machine starts up with this error message I hope I do not have to replace the motherboard & PSU.

prince midas 17:37 20 Jul 07

In my Bios it boots first to Cd then Floppy & last Hard Drive.

I am going to set it to boot to Floppy,then CD then Hard drive & see what happens.

Where should I look to disable Quick power on Self test or have I done enough?

prince midas 19:03 20 Jul 07

I find that when my machine is still warm,I can shut it down & then it reloads no problem with just drive i inserted. If I leave it switched off for say an hour it loads & says No hard disk in 1 or 2 drive even though drive 1 is my hard drive & 2 is not fitted into the caddie.
If I then insert the 2nd drive in the caddie it sees both hard drives & then loads.

Does this mean anything to you knowledgeable types.

woodchip 20:11 20 Jul 07

Set Bios to Boot strait to Hard Drive, You can change it back if you have problems getting into windows Later. You only need to boot from floppy or CD to get the Computer going, if there is a fault

prince midas 20:28 20 Jul 07

Will do as you suggest Woodchip,boot it straight into hard drive & see what happens.

prince midas 15:15 22 Jul 07

Sorry guys but my problems have started again.
The machine says Hard Drive Failure please insert system disk.

The only way the PC will run is to keep the 2nd hard drive in the caddie all the time & the machine runs fine.What does this indicate?

crosstrainer 15:22 22 Jul 07

BIOS battery?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5