hard disk failure

wobbler 17:16 30 Oct 03

My PC (win98SE) will not boot. It gets as far as detecting Cd rom drive and hangs. I put the hdd in another machine as a slave and when trying to access it I get "unrecognisable file system". Is there any way of recovering some of the data off the drive?

A_World_Maker 17:38 30 Oct 03

Try looking here, but becareful click here;en-us;69013

A_World_Maker 17:40 30 Oct 03

ooppss.. it wouldnt work.. trying again click here=

A_World_Maker 17:42 30 Oct 03

Did you set the disc up in the Bios of the machine you swapped it out to as a slave?

A_World_Maker 17:44 30 Oct 03

if all else fails, try this place click here+ it might just do it.

graham√ 17:48 30 Oct 03

Microsoft links don't copy on this site. Copy and paste into My Docs or wherever

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=

Take out the space between / and s and save the change.

When you want to post a link, paste this and add the number.

click here

A_World_Maker 17:52 30 Oct 03

Thanks for the info graham, I did manage somehow to get the 2nd link to paste okay, but think it might be a fore gone conclusion the HD is stuffed.

wobbler 19:38 30 Oct 03

thanks but still no good.tried the fdisk /mbr and that rsn Ok but i cannot read the disk still. The virtual lab recoveryprogram was taking forever to read the faulty disk so gave up on that as well. In answer to previous, yes the drive was set as a slave.

A_World_Maker 20:02 30 Oct 03

recovery programmes are very slow... patience...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…